Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Yummm Bubbalicious


slysmile
Originally uploaded by aleigha.
Unfortunately, we are battling an ear infection- Henderson had a doctors visit yesterday afternoon after a night of crying for 2 1/2 hours straight. I was a looney-tooney all day...but I guess I made it through on mommy-adrenaline. The doctor prescribed Amoxicilin.....and my first thoughts were--Oh my Lord, I am going to have a hellified 10 days on my hands trying to get Henderson to take this medicine.

We have been here before, he had an ear infection at around 4 months of age -I remember because this was when I stopped breastfeeding and of course I blamed myself for the fact that he had an ear infection. (whole other issue) Hubby and I were virgins at giving medicine to a 4 month old - Heck how hard could it be??? I begin to get loads of unsolicited advice (go figure) on how to get him to take the medication. Some say just hold em' down and squirt in his mouth, others swore that putting it in a little water or formula would do the trick. I figured we would try them both.

But of course given the fact that I have a "Baby Boy Extraordinaire" none of the above worked. If you tried to hold him down more than likely you would get sucker-punched in the eye because he would swing like "Smokin Joe Frasier" before he would let you squirt the medicine in his mouth. And when it came to the bottle --he just flat out refused to open his mouth and NOTHING was getting in there!!

So now you see my anxiety about giving him the appropriate doses he would need to start to feel better. After sending hubby to the pharmacy to pick it up we both gathered around Henderson and tried to come up with a plan - "What if we try to trick him and put it in his food? " Nah, that probably will work the first couple of times, but not the whole 10 days. "What if I put some on my finger and try to sneak some in that way"---Heck No!! That's not going to work --plus it could take 3 days just to get 1ml into his mouth and we have to give him 5ml."

As we toyed with different aapproaches to get just 1 tablespoon of Amoxicilin into a 7 month olds mouth -- I could hear the theme from "Mission Impossible" playing in the background. I filled up the syringe and I watched Henderson-- who is oblivious to the fact that we are about to ambush him with this horrible pink, pseudo-bubblegum flavored concoction.

As he happily plays on the floor, he pulls up on my knee to investigate the new gadget that mommy has in her hands---and of course with his own way of exploration he tries to put the syringe in his mouth. When he clamps down on it I squirt a little of the potion in. Hubby clams up with fear--I begin to bob and weave and we wait for his reaction. He is startled at first and then begins to smack his lips... He goes off to play with the Tickle Me Elmo then comes back to my knee pulls up again and opens his mouth ....I squirt a lil more in , he savors the flavor and takes off. We do this about 3 more times and all of the medicine is gone. We didn't endure a scene from WWF, he didn't scream to the rafters and no injuries were incurred. DO YOU HEAR ME? ALL THE MEDICINE IS GONE!

Hooray for bubbalicious amoxicilin and we are on the road to wellness.

0 Home Runs:

Post a Comment

<< Home